No doubt we’ve all experienced that moment while reading a book when we stumble across a line and are suddenly struck by the sheer genius of it.
We sit there slightly breath-taken, reading and re-reading the line as we let it sink in,
and find that the words echo in our minds for days afterwards.
In one way or another, the words awaken something inside of us and the author forces us to question something,
maybe everything, about our own existence.
That said, here are eight of the most awe-inspiring and memorable lines in fiction…
1. “And In That Moment, I Swear We Were Infinite”
This memorable quote can be found in The Perks of Being a Wallflower, a sweet and valued coming of age novel written by Stephen Chbosky,. While the book is littered with memorable quotes, this one stands out above all and makes all of its readers stop for a moment and wonder if they’ve had but a single moment when they’ve felt this way, or if them ever will.
2. “I fell in love the way you fall asleep: slowly, and then all at once.”
The Fault in Our Stars written byJohn Green is an honest portrayal of what life is life living as a teenage cancer patient. Despite the books heartbreaking nature, the young protagonist finds hope and love even in her bleakest hour, spinning us this memorable line as she does.
3. “Never forget what you are, for surely the world will not. Make it your strength. Then it can never be your weakness. Armour yourself in it, and it will never be used to hurt you.”
George R.R. Martin’s epic fantasy series A Song of Ice and Fire has reached millions of people across the globe. Within the five books of the uncompleted series, there are countless eye-opening and life-affirming quotes but perhaps none more so than this which comes from the first book in the series, Game of Thrones. If ever there was a quote to make you embrace your true self, this is it.
4. “I am nothing special, of this I am sure. I am a common man with common thoughts and I’ve led a common life. There are no monuments dedicated to me and my name will soon be forgotten, but I’ve loved another with all my heart and soul, and to me, this has always been enough..”
Nicholas Sparks is famous for his best selling romance/drama novels and most of all for his sensational world class novel The Notebook. This line from the novels hero is truly awe-inspiring and makes its reader sit back and wonder about their own life, their own accomplishments, and their own love story.
5. “We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.”
Featured in Lady Windermere’s Fan by Oscar Wilde, this quote reminds us of the power of dreams and the importance of belief. It teaches us that even in the bleakest of situations, beauty and hope can always be found in the world and it reminds us that everyone is equal and the only real difference between us is the faith we carry.
6. “Fairy tales are more than true: not because they tell us that dragons exist, but because they tell us that dragons can be beaten.”
Written by Neil Gaiman in his novelCoraline, this line teaches us all we really need to know about life. It reminds us that yes, there is going to be a struggle and hard times will fall upon us but that every struggle can be beaten.
7. “We believe in ordinary acts of bravery, in the courage that drives one person to stand up for another.”
Taken from Veronica Roth’s young adult novelDivergent, this quote reminds us about the power of self-worth and that ever act of kindness counts and is brave in its own unique way.