While you may think that Dr Seuss wrote only silly nursery rhymes, if you look close enough at his words and read between the lines you’re likely to discover some incredible life lessons and some serious wisdom within his work. Yes, he may have wrote for children however within his stories of cats in hats and adventures in Whoville he shared some memorable life lessons, some of which are taught over the course of an entire story and others which teach a profound lesson in just a single line. That said, here are 10 life lessons from Dr Seuss that may just put you on the course to a happy and fulfilled life…
1. ‘The more that you read, the more things you will know. The more that you learn, the more places you’ll go.’
Here Dr Seuss teaches us that knowledge is power and that we’ll get nowhere in life by being ignorant. Books can transport us to wondrous places and the lessons we learn within them can take us anywhere we desire.
2. ‘Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better. It’s not.’
Despite what you may think, individuals can made a difference and change the course of the future. All it takes is a whole lot of heart and a little compassion to get things moving. Be the change you want to see in the world.
3. ‘If you never did you should. These things are fun and fun is good.’
Don’t be afraid of change and stepping outside of your comfort zone. Change is good, change is fun, change is how we experience life.
4. ‘Today you are you, that is truer than true. There is no one alive who is youer than you.’
Don’t ever feel like you have to conform to society and don’t ever strive to be anyone other than you. There is only one you and that is who you are supposed to be. Appreciate that and love yourself.
5. ‘You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.’
When all is said and done, it’s you who determines the course of your own destiny. You choose your life path and it’s your responsibility to see that you get there. Don’t let anyone else hold you back, the choice to live is yours and yours alone.
6. ‘Today is gone. Today was fun. Tomorrow is another one.’
Today was today and within it there were likely good moments and bad moments. It doesn’t matter if you had a bad day or the best day ever, all that matters is that you appreciate the present and look forward to the future.
7. ‘It’s high time you were shown that you really don’t know all there is to be known.’
No matter how much you think you know there is always more to learn. Remember that and never stop trying to educate yourself.
8. ‘I know up on top you are seeing great sights, but down here on the bottom, we too should have rights.’
Everyone, no matter their background or circumstances, deserves to be treated with equal rights and respect. Deserve everyone how you’d like to be treated.
9. ‘Today is your day, your mountain is waiting. So get on your way.’
You’ll never know what’s out there if you never take the first step towards your dreams. Sure, the journey before you may look tough but you should always believe in yourself and never fear the challenge before you.
10. ‘And when they played they really PLAYED. And when they worked they really WORKED.’
Work hard, play hard. It’s an age old saying but one too many people forget. Work hard at your job to earn what you need but always remember to enjoy the fun things in life as well.
Question of the Day:
What is your favorite lesson from Dr Seuss ?
Let us know in the comments below!